Tuesday 4 March 2014

:: The truth about being in a band ::

Being in a band is like being in a relationship. I'll never understand bands that have band mates that are just band mates. For me, my band mates are my best friends. I see Bob close to every week and would usually talk to Kam on the phone at least once a week.

Being in a band IS like being in a relationship. Couples fight. Couples breakup. Couples go on hiatus.

I was reading through my blog when I saw this posting I made back in 2010;

"The saddest thing about 2010 is this. Oligarchy is on an indefinite hiatus. How long? Well, there is a very high chance that Oligarchy will be disbanded, although nothing is OFFICIAL yet. I know words are traveling around somewhere, someplace regarding the reasons why this is happening. Now is not the time for me to inform people about it. Nothing is official. There are many things that needs figuring out. To see if it all makes sense to even continue this journey at this point of time. No official breakup announcements are written in either our Myspace or Reverbnation page. Our music is still there for people to listen to or download. When things are finally thought about and decisions are finally made official, the announcement will be made at those 2 page and also here. If there is a need for me to personally explain why, that would be written here too. Now that's a promise I can make to everyone out there who are considered Oligarchy's fans and friends. As for now, Oligarchy is on an indefinite hiatus. The reason? It's musically based. Nothing more. Nothing less." - 30 December 2010

Probably the darkest period for Oligarchy happened around that time. I needed the hiatus to figure things out. Musically, I was thinking if Oligarchy can grow? Can we write? For sure, after so many years of doing it, I just needed to be away. Me and Bob did meet, to have a heart to heart talk regarding the hiatus. We made things really clear regarding whatever problems we had. It was good to have that, because as soon as word came out regarding the hiatus, a big fat vulture was just trying to make things between us worse.

It was during the hiatus that I made my own side band. We recorded a concept EP and played a few shows. Overall, it was something different. I got to see things in a different light and manage to push myself artistically.

Me and Bob rarely met during the hiatus. We would occasionally bump into each other (coz we were working in the same building....we actually got stuck in a jammed lift before at work, but that's another story). If you honestly asked me "Did you miss him during those time?" my honest answer would be yes (it would be no if Bob is reading this - must prove machoism).

Sometime around March 2012, i texted this;

"Oligarchy. Streetfest 2012???"

That was a message I sent to Bob. Short and simple but filled with a thousand emotions. Me sending that text out was, in my own way, asking Bob to lets continue where we left off with Oligarchy.

In less than a week, Bob, Sufi and myself, was at our favorite jam place. All 3 original members of Oligarchy. Sitting down, smoking, looking at each other and just giving off courtesy laughter (it has been awhile since we all were together at one place). When we started jamming the first song, it was like we didn't even go on a hiatus. It felt right.

Fast forward to now. We have gone a long way. We played more shows, got more publicity, made new friends and have an album to look forward too. We pushed ourselves. We pushed ourselves higher than before. True, there are some ups and downs, but we always find a way through.

Someone did ask me, why do I still want to continue with Oligarchy when I'm already part of a group that has their song up on radio? My answer to him was simple. Oligarchy is a part of my life. Over the years it has become an entity by itself. When I'm in Oligarchy, it just feels special. Every time when I'm onstage, when i look over to my left, there is Bob. And when I turn around, there's Kam. It just feels like home.

Being in a band is like being in a relationship. You fight, breakup and make up. But in the end, you know that you just love them and knows it lasted this long because it's special.

It really takes something special for individuals to be in a group and make music. Like my officer once said, when you sweat together, you'll stick together.

Keep your rock on people!
- Wan Oligarchy

No comments:

Post a Comment